Prayer Letter June 2018
Once again may we express our deep appreciation for your prayer support.
We are leaving Ethiopia this weekend for our traditional "rainy season" break. We leave a country much more at peace with itself compared with a year ago. With a new prime minister in place who seems to be making a real difference, and with the "State of Emergency" having been cancelled a few days ago, we are sensing a much more optimistic atmosphere than we have experienced for a long time.
Another answer to prayer is the possibility of another English teacher at Bingham next year. Most gaps in staffing have been filled, but the English department was looking like it was going to be down to one person.
Please pray for:
- Several new teachers arriving at Bingham Academy in August. Pray for rapid settling and adapting to a new culture;
- The new school director, Kent. he has overlapped with the outgoing director and will fully take up the reins from now;
- SIM Ethiopia. Several long-term missionaries are leaving for good, resulting in gaps in the teams working in remote areas. Please pray that despite this the Gospel will still reach those who have never heard it before;
- Our church. The new pastor from Canada has been in place for a few months now but things are not going as smoothly as we would have liked. Please pray for wisdom for the eldership as we try to help him settle in and navigate the complexities of Ethiopian culture;
- Finally please pray for our time in the UK. We will be visiting church, friends and family as well as trying to have a bit of a break before returning to Ethiopia at the beginning of August.
Thank you! If you're interested, our itinerary is below.
Phil and Chris
Phil and Chris's Summer Itinerary:
- 17th June - land early Sunday morning and head for St Albans and the Spicer Street second morning service;
- 17th to 20th June - in St Albans;
- 21st June onwards - based at our house in Balsham, Cambridgeshire;
- 20th to 27th July - Holiday in Kent with all the children, their spouses and 7 grandchildren - 17 of us!
- 3rd August - fly back to Addis Ababa.